Sunday 23 January 2011

Salty Saltaire

View from the river

I had a half-day trip with Kington, Van and Wai Yi to a small village called Saltaire. My first thoughts when I reached there is that it reminded me of some random small Perak town that you would stop over for a short meal along the highway. Although it's peaceful and seem to be kid-friendly place, I can imagine myself dying of boredom there as a resident. Apparently that village is founded by the wealthy Salt family and they run a textile industry during the olden days. (It has nothing to do with cooking salt..lol) The large textile mill stood looming over the small village and it has since being converted into an art gallery, bookshop and various other shops after some refurbishment following years of abandonment. Saltaire is listed under as one of the Unesco Heritage Site and that explains the crazy long periods that we took to find decently priced food in the village. There's less than 5 eateries available in the village that is fit for lunch consumption. We wanted to go to the riverside pub at first but the fish and chips there are priced at an astounding 10 quid! We finally settled for an underground Victorian tea house and I literally had veggies stuffed up my mouth with my turkey ham sandwich which had more veggie than meat. We went to explore the mill after our meal. It was around 5pm when we decided that we have explored all we wanted at Saltaire and we went back to Leeds to have dinner.


The textile mill

2 comments:

jennyfreckles said...

I'm interested to hear of your visit to Saltaire. It doesn't sound an unqualified success. That's a shame. I live in the village and there is plenty going on, even if it doesn't look like it on a winter's day. As for food, you should perhaps have ventured up to the top end of the village on the main road, where there are more places to eat (including a chippie). Take a look at my blog if you want to explore further - and do come back again on a sunny summer's day!

Stan said...

Thanks for your feedback, Jenny. Yea, I'll come back to explore Saltaire again when it's warmer during Summer :)