Friday 21 January 2011

Last few moments of winter break

This week's Monday and Tuesday were the datelines for my Criminology and Jurisprudence assignments. I've actually hit the panic button right after the Christmas period. I figured out that I shouldn't be maintaining my last minute habits at Inti considering that this is my final year already. With some torturous pushing and discipline, I got my Criminology assignment done with before 9th of January. And I continued slogging through to complete my Jurisprudence, bearing in mind of the 18th Jan dateline. Thank God that I've completed it by around the 16th and tidied up the referencing etc on the 17th. So while people are rushing to complete it in the early morning of 18th Jan, I was busy busting and zapping Zerg on the Planet Char with Jim Raynor. A massive change compared to my old days at Inti..ahahaha.

I'm quite amazed really at how I've managed to complete the two assignments way before time considering that I did not write anything substantial for either papers before the Christmas period at all. In fact, I would term it as something like lazing towards the finishing line. I was attending church and activities as usual, and even spent the whole day at Manchester watching a match and walking around in the city. I took some time off completing my BPTC application and spent time uploading photos and editing videos on Facebook and game for a couple of hours. There are days when I wrote only 100 words and I feel asleep, without doing anything productive for the day and yet I could still come up with the goods at the end of the day. Where did all the time come from? Well, I really thank God for guiding me through and this proves that putting Him first in my life will never put me at a disadvantage. Somehow, there's this deep desire to really want to show some of my peers that I do the same thing as them and get the same amount of busy schedule as them and yet, God is never out of the picture for me. In other words, to put it bluntly, there's really no excuse to skip church. I think it boils down to a question of committment and a little discipline personally in dedicating time for God. I'm quite slackish when it comes to studying and my motto is to study only when I'm called upon or when the war drums of exams are near. Any time other than that, the notes get cobwebs. The result is often I ended up doing some last-minute cramming but still, no such thing as skipping church. In fact, I think church gave me the sense of calmness to study better. So, I really don't understand how some of my peers have difficulty giving a minimum committment in going to church every week, citing busy-ness as an excuse or having something on. What if Jesus comes tomorrow and ask them 'What have you done with the talents I've given you"? Will they tell him that they're too busy to bother? I think there's only a certain amount of guiding and encouragement that can be given. The rest is up to personal willpower. Quite difficult if he/she does not want to change in the first place :(

Ahhhhh..enough of the rantings. Anyways, on Tuesday, I had dinner with Kington and Van at Las Iguanas, courtesy of Kington's 50% discount off from the bill. It's certainly worth to call the expensive dishes with the price the cut and I went with the beef steak fajitas. We also ended up having double cocktails each because of the mis-interpretation of the 2 for 1 offer..haha, but the deal's still good. It's great way to chill out after all the essay assignments and it's kinda like a little celebratory meal time. And then on Wednesday, I went to catch a movie (127 hours) at The Light with them and Wai Yi and the price of the tickets are at 3.30pounds each with the Orange discount. Kington and I could have gotten it for a further reduction at 2.80 pounds student price if I had arrived earlier..lol but still, it's still cheaper than Singapore cinemas at this rate. I thought it was 5 pounds per person originally. At 2.80 pounds for Wednesday movie nights, that's about the same price as our dear cinemas at Mid-Valley or One-Utama on the weekends! Time to start paying attention to more upcoming movie titles at The Light! xD

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Are you offered a place for BPTC?
I'm an applicant from University of Reading, currently waiting for an offer in the second round.

Stan said...

Yes, I was offered a place in the second round by Manchester Met but I have decided to do CLP in Malaysia instead for cost reasons.