Tuesday 25 January 2011

Liberty Building

The Liberty Building

The first week term of semester goes underway and the first class up is my first jurisprudence elective which is law and religion. I picked that option since I thought that with some knowledge on the syariah law and also info on separation of church and state, it would be an interesting topic. But I forgot that it may also come with a heap load of cases to memorise and apply. On the night before, I realised in horror that I had just made one of my juris exam questions into a case-based problem. It's as though as I didn't have enough of burden with the cases in evidence and EU Law! A part of me was just wondering what in the world made me chose that option in November when I could just get away with Liberal Theories of Justice. When I looked through the exam questions of liberal theories, it's literally a freestyle question compared to law and religion which required me to do some substantial heavy reading. Argghhhh..I just shot myself in the foot even before exam begins. And when I attended class in the morning, I only saw 1 other Malaysian. It looks like Stan has yet again ended up in an isolated choice which only ang mohs would pick and no Malaysian would consider. Too late to turn back, just gotta make do with what I have.

I had my first look of the new law school building when I went there for my first EU seminar of the semester. It's a very impressive structure with a catchy name (Liberty Building) and I would say a worthy home for law students after being holed up in the old grizzly Victorian cottages at Lyddon Row. The engineers have their own building. The medics have their own building (and multi storeyed too with lifts!). The Business School building is a refurbished modern center. Law students in Leeds have to be contented instead with a cramped undergraduate room and musty old Victorian smell for years. It's like Arsenal shifting form Highbury to the Emirates. I'm indeed fortunate to come at the right time. One of the first noticeable change is we have a super enlarged undergrduate room with glass walls. The reception area looks very welcoming and the roof is also glass panelled to allow natural sunlight to come in. All of my lectures are still all over the place, so the only classes that I have in the Liberty building is on every Tuesday, which is either my EU Law seminar or Criminology Seminar. Oh well, at least better than nothing..haha. Meanwhile, enjoy a few snippets of photo that I've taken from the Liberty Building on my first visit there.


The entrance: Check out the revolving doors..lol

Decoration at the reception

Interior main hallway

No comments: