Wednesday 11 November 2009

All the men and ladies in black

I followed my boss to the Shah Alam complex yesterday where they deal with legal matters pertaining to courts. Well, the case that we are doing is still in the stage called "case management" which meant that it's the preliminary stage before the case is being heard by the judge. So, the lawyers will need to submit their documents to the court registrar there before they can set their hearing dates. When I reached that area, I'm instantly surrounded by a legion of men and ladies in black with suitcases lining up to submit their documents. The suitcase especially looks a lil funny with its trolley and squarish looking features. That's where all the bundles of authorities and documents are stored when they go around. And everyone of them has them! You can easily spot a lawyer in the vicinity by the black jacket and that particular style of bag..haha.

The funny thing over there is that everyone seems to know everyone that passes by there. Perhaps it's such a small community that you are bound to meet friends in the same legal line. I think I counted 5 to 6 times where my boss greeted other bunch of lawyers that he knows as friends. Ahhh..it'll be interesting though if your friend happens to be the opposing team..haha. As my boss mentions, litigation is all about waiting and waiting. You have to wait if your opponent has missing documents, you have to wait if your client doesn't send you the right documents, you have to wait to get things certified, you have to wait to get the case shifted off to another date of hearing..lol.

Since my boss' opponent has already filed in another date, we are free to return back to office after confirming it with the registrar. Hmmm..I did some filing and proceeded on to draft out a statement of claim. Today's task was a little challenging and this involves the tabulation of costs after a case is concluded. Lol..I didn't know the preparation of letter can cost RM1 per page and basically, the legal firm can claim back all costs including postage, photostatting and printing cost. Haha..letter corresponding in the legal world is not that cheap. Every single time there's a change or a mere small development like attaching a receipt has to be followed up by a letter to inform the relevant parties of the changes. It could easily come up to about 30-50 letters going back and forth (depending on the length of case) and each of these letters can cost about RM3 for the process of preparing printing and sending it.

Hmmmm..working life is so far so good. I realised that no matter how jam the place can be, it takes only a maximum of 30 minutes to reach my working place. Lol, and I always end up being there early coz I also wanna eat breakfast before starting work.

No comments: