Monday 9 November 2009

First day at work

Today's my first day at work and I must say, it's a whole lot of new experience for me. I'm currently working in a law firm at Taman Tun Dr Ismail in Damansara. I have not been around Damansara so, naturally I'm not familiar with where to go and how to even get to the office but thanks to Kevin and Grace, I have directions to go there now and it takes less than 15 minutes to get there on a minimal jam traffic from Grace's home, like this morning. Lol..I was dearly hoping that I remembered all of Kevin's instructions yesterday and thank God I did. I managed to get the TTDI safe and sound at about 7am and my boss came in about 10 minutes after I had reached. Anyways, the parking at TTDI is very irritating because I need to go to machine and print for a ticket. It's 50 sen per hour and I can only print a ticket with 3 hrs max. So this means that I have to come down at every 3 hr interval unless i decide to park somewhere else at a permanent car park.

Since my boss had to rush off to do something, I help him to jaga the office until he's back at 11am plus. Meanwhile, I read some of the case files that he has, especially one of them in which we will be attending court tomorrow. Before having breakfast, I did a short exploration around TTDI and found out that there's really lots of stuff to makan there. There's Domino's, Popeye's, Pizza Hut, Ayamas, plenty of independent cafes, mamaks and a few Chinese kopitiam. Not to mention, KFC is just a mere 2 minutes walk away from the office and that's where I had my breakfast today..haha.

When my boss came back, he gave me a briefing on the stuff that he passed to me to read. Hmmmm..I learned about the basics of civil procedure and yea, it's nothing like the academic version of law. It starts with letter of demand, then statement of claim, then more paperworks to bypass. Lol..Intima red tape is miniature in comparison but at least the law documents are not as nonsensical as the proposals and event reviews that we send to Intima. There are lots to look through like receipts, invoices, doctor's handwriting and medical reports. I figure out that a lawyer needs to be as well verse as a doctor on the different scientific names of the human anatomy since they will be dealing with injuries from accidents and fights. I also just learned today that the scientific medical term for a blackeye is Periorbital Haematoma. (Haha..how cool was that?). I manage to do lots of hands on stuff today, including drafting a statement of claim (the real one this time) and helping my boss to correct the court's final draft of order on a case that was recently concluded. Oh yea, while looking through one of the Court of Appeal cases, it does seem that the bundles there are really like mooting..haha.

Time seems to pass by slowly today but I think it's gotta do with the environment of being at work..lol. Oh well, tomorrow is an adventure on its own too at the court xD

2 comments:

Behind the Closet said...

happy working then! haha
btw so nice you can fb-ing, listening to songs, msn-ing during working time sia... not bad -)
do u blog at work??? haha

Stan said...

haha..I wanted to but I kept getting distracted by other stuff! =p