Saturday 14 November 2009

Client Conferencing

One of my boss' client came into office yesterday and I had my first experience of client conferencing. Well, the law school did have an assessment on client conferencing during year 1 legal skills but this is the authentic experience and cannot be compared to the academic assessment since were given a hypothetical situation there. Hmmmm..for one, client conferencing in Malaysia itself made me realise that it is not only important to have strong mastery in Bahasa Malaysia and English. Chinese dialects are a must and the ability to translate them inside out with ease to English. This is because not every client in Malaysia that comes to the lawyer's office would be able to converse in English comfortably. Yesterday's client converse mostly in Cantonese and it's very impressive that my boss could translate all the information that is conveyed to him in English. I helped him out abit in clarifying some of the things with the client and yea, the vocabulary in all spoken languages must be really good because filing the statement of claim requires utmost precision on the details. Every single bit of detail like time, nature, type and technique of objects must be accounted for. Hmmm..with that, I've ended my 1st work week.

Today went to church early in the morning for worship practice since I'm serving this Sunday. After practice, I needed to go straight to Seremban to settle the law magazine's 2nd draft. Ugghhh..apparently, the publisher made some mistakes in taking short cuts to edit the legal articles content. On the publisher side, it's not that easy to make amendments too because they needed to change alignment using Adobe Illustrator and it's not as easy as using Microsoft Word. Every page is laid out like an artwork and every shift would mean that all the pages would have to be re-edited again so that the footnotes would align back. It was raining cats and dogs along the way and the Seremban roads were filled with puddles of water everywhere. I wanna eat pork burger but venture failed because it's opened from 11am to 3pm and then 6pm to 12am. Pork burger mission failed. As I'm starving already since I didn't eat any breakfast in the morning, I went to the next best thing: Coney dogs, waffles and root beer float at A&W. Once I got my stomach filled, I headed back to hostel and I was thoroughly exhausted when I reached. I realised I have been driving for a good few hours already non-stop, zooming here and there. Time to grab a few breaths of air before heading back out tomorrow.

No comments: