Thursday 5 August 2010

UK Visa Application

I went to submit my Visa Application a few days ago on Tuesday and I find it a rather amusing experience..lol. On Monday, I was scrambling already to prepare all the neccessary documents like photo with white background and the bank pass book updated. We had to submit online one form and print and sign it and also another appendix form to be filled up by pen. Basically the UK Visa application is focused on two factors - unconditional offer from the university in the form of the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number and evidence that you have funds to maintain yourself in the country. Anything else is basic protocol like your personal details. Even medical history or checkup is a non-compulsory requirement. So, I would say money and confirmation of being a student are at the top of the UK Border guards mind so as to alleviate their irritation of granting a potential illegal immigrant a visa. They are so strict regarding the funds that even money in your parent's account will not suffice and you would have to prove relationship with parents with a translated birth certificate since our Malaysian birth certs are in Malay.

I made an appointment at 10.30am from the internet and I found out on the day of the visa document submission that I'm indeed both glad to made the appointment AND arrive early on time. Firstly, people who don't make appointment get the last priority in being attended and at the same time being late is equals to not making an appointment. And to top things up with the British prim and properness, it's the time when you reach the security guard and NOT the time when they attended to your application. As such, it doesn't matter that they don't attend to you at 10.30am sharp but they expect you to be there sitting and waiting for them even though they may only call you at 11.30am. The fact that one is not there waiting at the appointed time means that he's late and will have to punished with a last number on the queue although it's not his turn yet. Oh yea, and not coming too early also as the guards won't let you in until it's 10 minutes before time. The office entrance is locked by a keypad security, so one cannot waltz into there unless the security guard thinks that you're qualified enough. Anticipating such particularities and specifications,, I was resolved not to be late so as not to get into big trouble or making a bad first impression with the ang mohs in case I get interviewed.

I started off the journey like more than an hour before appointed time but the crazy KL jams and a wrong estimation of the position of Wisma MCA (the place where it is located) nearly costed me the time beyond 10.30am. I parked at the Bank of China parking lot and it's quite an interesting parking place. It has this cool pulley platform to arrange cars, something like a retro Japanese technology. So with the platform system, it is possible to line up 3 rows of cars parked behind one another because the platform pulley will shift the cars accordingly whenever one car wants to come out.

Anyways, I did make it on time and I found out that they even printed a list to take note of all applicant's appointment time of the day. There was a huge crowd there and it didn't look to be completed at anytime soon. I was supposed to meet up with Vincent there but I couldn't see him around when I was there. So, I thought that he had already did his and went off. Anyways, I discovered that he came in later and his appointment time was only at 11.15am. Nicholas also came along but unfortunately, he missed his time so he had to wait quite a long time before he got called. Before submitting, I was kinda worried that I might miss out some documents but the officer in charge there seemed to accept all without commenting much so I assume that all is in order. After the submission, I had to wait a while before going to an interview room for a biometric test. I had to stare at cameras and all 10 fingerprints had to be scanned, not just the thumbprints. Then the officer interviewing me shot some quick questions like what is your name, date of birth and surname in a very fast manner, almost as if I were to stutter a little, they would suspect that I'm lying about my identity...lol. That's roughly the process off the application and I'm terribly hoping and praying that all the supporting documents are valid enough for me to get the visa on first try and not pay another RM976 to try the second shot.

After all the application process are done, the three of us went to Mid-Valley to chill out and we also met one of our good old ex-classmate Michael there. I'm quite relieved personally to sort out the visa application already and it's now just a matter of waiting for some good news hopefully. Looks like I'm not going out of the country at any point soon since my passport and my other original documents are held by the British High Commission for analysis..haha.

1 comment:

Jonathan low said...

lol, then how long will you be stuck here?