Thursday 10 June 2010

Direction Instincts

I'm currently at Ipoh and frankly, I'm quite surprised that I could find my way in the area around despite some mishaps with Google Map. For starters, I was supposed to meet up with Lerdie at her aunty's place since there's no one at her old place. Her aunty's address and taman did not come up at the Google Map search at all and she herself was not very sure of the route too. I asked Grace's mother but she too could only give me some small bits of hints and there. So, the clues I had to work with was Jalan Tasek, industrial area and Jalan Kuala Kangsar. It looks like its gonna be a long search with lots of hit and runs in between. No GPS for me because I don't own such sophiscated device in my arsenal of electronics..lol. Of course, there's always the option of asking around but this time I wanna see how much my instinct can measure up.

I started my journey pretty late, around 1pm from KL and along the way, I stopped by at Tapah to have food. This is my first time entering Ipoh town and probably my second time travelling long distance without anyone accompanying me. Hmmmmm..travelling alone on the highway seems to be quite adventurous and the notion seems to be even more adventurous with me going into unchartered territories with the possibility of ending up really lost in some unknown area. Of course, my top 3 guidelines when venturing into unknown territories are 1. know how to trace ur steps back, 2. take note of destination names and 3. determine your destination's border markers and limits so as to confine your search area

As I entered into Ipoh, I breathed heavily, hoping that everything will go alright. It's beginning to feel like a suicide mission because I have no clear directions at all. I checked out the signboard, hopefully that I can have something easy to start off with. The first few km was good until I was accidentally forced to make a turn into a wrong place. I made a u-turn and proceeded on with instinct that I would reach somewhere near soon when I followed the direction to Tasek. True enough, I reached the town area but the challenging thing is, which housing estate and road and it could be anyplace. That, I fear, was the most daunting task. After determining the border limits of Tasek, I turned back and started to penetrate randomly a few housing estates to see if I'm in the correct road. I took note of the postcode, and that proved useful in determining the housing estate roads. Finally, by God's grace, I guessed correctly within the 2nd try of another housing estate. I was excited when I spotted the correct road but wrong street number. Ahhh..just a little more and within 5 minutes, I reached my destination and spotted Hamster. Rawr! Mission accomplished. Man instinct over GPS :)

After this experience, Stan feels like he's a taxi driver..lol. Perhaps he should write a book too on the Hitchhiker's Guide to Malaysian Towns. xD

2 comments:

Maddie said...

Yes you should. and liked the line abt spotting hamster. almost as tho she's a mini landmark herself. XD

Charlotte.Jialerd said...

+.+