Tuesday 1 June 2010

Awesome 3 weeks Camp Cameron 2010!

Three weeks of my life. Three weeks of life-fulfilling lessons. Three weeks of fellowships forged. Three weeks of listening to God. Three weeks of reflecting 21 years of existence.

I was kinda anticpating eagerly for this 3 weeks Camp Cameron because I just had a feeling that it'll be one major milestones in my life. At the same time, I'm kinda nervy because I was picked to be the group leader and it would mean that I would have extra responsibilities in the camp. Hmmmm..but as I mentioned later, it turns out to be a good experience. I won't be going to narrate day by day on what happens since the photos at my facebook will explain..lol. So, I'm gonna give an overall account of my experience after going it through it.

The place were staying at was at Habu, Lutheran Lakeview Chalets. My chalet was a little different in the sense that we were separated from the main campsite since the main campsite could not accomodate all 81 people together. So, for every session or activity, we either have to walk 10 minutes down to the main campsite or take a car ride if it's too late or dark at night. We are however compensated with our own kitchen, eating utensils, fridge, a large hall and dining table for ourselves. Foodwise, we had lots of vegetables for each meal and meat do not always appear in every meal. So, we had quite a healthy diet there except that our grandparents and uncle tend to 'spoil' us by buying us goodies like maggi mee, ice-cream and even KFC! Lights out is at 12am and we get up early at 6.30am every morning.

The camp had various main segments to it, the first being Lectio Divina, then Chronicles of God and His Kingdom (CGK), Wordylicious Investigators (WI) and Redeeming Relationships. Lectio Divina was something new that I encountered in camp which requires me to be really silent and let the Word speak to me instead as it is being read out. I love CGK session in the morning although it is quite taxing for some of them becaus it reminded me of all the Bible stories that I learn in Sunday School only that this time, I am mature enough to dwell deeper into the meanings of the passages. WI was something which we already did at ICF during CG time, and I get to witness first hand on how it should be conducted to its full potential. Of course, it requires the participants to take initiative in the first place to ask questions and be curious about the passage they are investigating. In between the time to night sessions, we have rotation of things such as leisure, games and outing day on Wednesdays. The first Wednesday was Boh Tea Plantation while the second one is going to Tanah Rata. The third one is up to each and every chalet to plan and mine decided to stay back and cook up a feast instead..lol.

The night sessions were called Redeeming Relationships and it involves 3 stages. 1st week was with God, next with the people around us like friends and family and finally was with the world. Basically the idea is that we learn how to get our relationship right with God first and then patch up any broken relationships that we may have with those surrounding us. The most emotional one was on family because many of us came from challenging situations. Grandma Annette did a fantastic job in presenting us the second week of redeeming relationships session where we get to confront critical issues such as gender differences and courtship. I love the last session too with Sivin Kit who reminded us that our role as Christians should translate to the community where we should operate as agents of change to make our country and community a better place to live in. The main focus of all these sessions point back to the fact that God is our Yahweh Elohim, which means our personal God who will travel with us in our personal odyssey.

I made lots of good friends over there and Malaysia seems to be quite small out a sudden when I got to know that a few of them there knew some of my campus friends..haha. The moments of Yeaaaaaahhh! and BKB were really memorable and the fellowship I had with my D'Villa family is fantastic. I think we are craziest and loudest chalet lots especially with Richard and Enoch running around. We are blessed indeed to have both Grandma Wan Ling and Annette with us. Annette herself has already attended 22 years worth of Camp Cameron and this would be her last one since she would be going international. We are priviledged to be her last grandchildren and to have the opportunity to have a share of her wealth of experience..haha.

For me personally, when we go up Cameron Highlands, it reminded me of Moses' journey up to Mount Sinai to speak with God. Many of us left the familiar things that we know and away from distractions to have this very rare opportunity to focus fully on God and reallign ourselves to Him. The question next is then what will we be doing with the message once we return back to the people below. There's alot of time for self-examination up in Camp Cameron and I get to organise my thoughts on my life properly and to have an even clearer direction on what to do with my life down the road. It's a period of rededication of my life to God, make firm decisions and also to renew my committment vows with God. God keeps His covenant with His people afterall :)

Next year, there won't be a Camp Cameron since the FES is taking a break. I really recommend for any young undergraduate who wants to get serious with God to at least take the opportunity to attend Camp Cameron when the opportunity comes. There's alot of things that God will speak within that 3 weeks. I am honoured to have the chance to listen :)

5 comments:

athens said...

Praise the Lord!!!!!!

Nally Woo said...

amen papa... it truely was a camp worth going for... and meeting n fellowshiping with the family.. really changed my life.. miss you all a bunch.. after reading -.- i miss the moments more.. rawr!!

jess* said...

nicely written papa.


*emos*

Unknown said...

papa!!! :) it was a good summary of camp cameron.. :) do keep in touch yeah

The Hebraic Prophet said...

YEAAAHHHH!!!!!! Really feel that feeling of yeahness throughout the camp. Also feel quite like missing it. Anyway, God bless in all of your comng plans. :)