Tuesday 9 March 2010

Advocacy Completed

I had just completed my advocacy session in the morning. I dedicated only about or two for the preparation yesterday and I would say that advocacy is much easier than mooting itself eventhough it requires more impromptu speech. It was a matter of preparing several questions and on my part, a rousing closing statement. The interesting thing is that I get to wear the lawyer robes with the bip for the first time. Haha..I had to wear both my blazer and the robe and it was extremely stuffy. Fortunately, the moot court was well air-conditioned enough to prevent myself from melting.

We had some very "interesting" witnesses from Semester 2. Jonathan himself was Jennifer "Jenny" Tan while Michael took on the role of the inspector and the ballistics expert. Patrick is the accused who is suspected of discharging a weapon in the course of robbery at a shopping center and this offence carries a death penalty in Malaysia. I'm on the defendant side with Jojo, so our job is to defend the accused. It went well for us where we won and managed to get the jury to acquit the accused in the end. It was nerve wrecking to take into consideration and pay attention constantly to what the prosecution had said. One can never be sure how the witness may answer, and so the questioning process really has to be thorough. However overall, I do enjoy the experience of it..haha. For now, this assesment is finally done with and now it's just total focus fire on the final exams.

No comments: