Thursday 10 December 2009

A fruitful one month

I've said my goodbyes and woah, this is probably the longest stretch of goodbyes I had to say so far. That is until I fly off to UK..lol. Yesterday was my last day at work and I would say, I've managed to accomplish everything that I had planned earlier. The attachment period at the law firm was a fruitful one and I gained really lots of insights into how the practice of law works. I really wanna thank my boss for being so gracious in giving me the opportunity to draft statement of claims, writ summons and letters of demand plus file in documents at the Jalan Duta Court Complex. Indeed, while the academic version of law serves to build the foundations of being a lawyer, I would say in bold statements that almost 70% to 80% of the work done as a lawyer relies very little on just mere academic knowledge. In other words, no matter how many cases that are being memorised or known during a student's life, it's quite useless when you gotta deal with real-life litigation. A lot of law work has gotta do with processes and formalities. Just one step wrong in filing a document or process can get your case thrown out, even before you can open your mouth to argue academic points. A good lawyer is actually the fella who knows which stage of the case he's at and knows how to draft the statement of claim that hits the right spot, not the guy who gets first class degree or a string of As in his study life. Networking is extremely important because no good lawyer can work solo based on himself and he must have good communication skills to relate his points to his peers especially.

Since this is the last week before I head out for real holidays, had a last dinner and drink with my boss first on Monday at KimGary and Laundry. This was followed on Tuesday where I met Lionel and Kylie at 1 Utama and we hang out and ate at Ajisen Ramen. Wednesday dinner was with Vei Da, who's flying off to US soon next Jan. At the morning when I'm scheduled to return, Aunty was nice to belanja me to eat chilli pan mee.

Overall, it's being a great one month and I had lots of fun hanging out together with the DNA people. This one month is in a way a preview of what is to come when I come into the working world. It's sure gonna feel really funny to have a taste of the working world and then suddenly return back to a period of studying again next year. It would be perhaps a good 2 years before I would do the same working stuff I did during this one month. One thing is for sure is that I'll never look at studying life the same way as before already after tasting working life..haha. It sure needs a whole lot of maturity to deal with working life. I really wanna thank God for watching me over this period of one month. It feels as if everything has been planned by Him, from the place I stay, the new people that I meet and to the things that I have learnt in this period. The timing was just right and everything just falls into place. Every morning when I go to work, the route to office is only clogged with bad traffic at very limited places. Lol..I'm especially grateful for His watchful eyes over the number of times I narrowly have accidents in the crazy KL traffic..haha. I managed to learn how to get around parts of KL too, and this time, I won't be so lost anymore when I travel around there.

Finally, I would like to thank Grace and her family (Aunty and Jeremy) for the wonderful family homestay atmosphere. This one month of fruitfulness would not have been possible without their generous hospitality. Gonna miss all of them too :)

No comments: