Tuesday 15 September 2009

Last-minute escape

Uhhh..it's being quite some time since I managed to find some free period to blog. The first few weeks into Semester 5 was not relaxing at all. To sum it all up, I was under siege from under three fronts. The first was the never-ending editing work of the magazine. Everybody's finding my head for the date of publishing but I've already completed all of its content. Just that it got stuck at the editing table since I need to get the clearance from my higher bosses before I can get it printed. So, there was nothing much I could do about the magazine until my higher bosses finish checking it. But still, I need to do lots of stuff to pacify disgruntled customers that are gonna fly to UK without getting their goods. Looks like they are gonna get it through mail instead then.

Next up, it's the increasing pile of work from the secretary's table. Minutes, proposals, exhibition week preparation and memoradums keeps going on and on and on. It's the new semester and with a new student 'government' in place, lots of protocols need to be settled. Although it's a short semester, it feels as if there's lots to do. I was pretty annoyed last week because the amount of red tape generated by the new student 'government' can even put the Singaporeans to shame. As Reubs put in plainly and accurately in lyrics ,"Endless red tape to keep the truth confined". I would definitely love to play with that "rejected" stamp in the future..lol. Anyways, after thinking it over, I took it in my stride because I think it may be God's way to prepare me for the future since my future work may involve even more unreasonable sequences. The key is to learn to deal with it well and professionally. This front will keep pressing on because things need to get updated in CF every single time and I don't forsee it ending it anytime soon. I do feel the weight of the shoulders on me.

The third front was in danger of collapsing into a catostrophic disaster since the troops were occupied at the other two fronts. I knew I should have gotten started at this third front but the delegating resources to this front would meant the collapse of the other two. I've managed to squeeze some reinforcements into the third front at the very least, 3 days before dateline. 3000 words thesis within this period is insanely tight, not to mention bibliographies and format arrangement. It was a torrential rush of words and every second that ticked by was not to be wasted. Up till the last minute, I still had to tidy up format mistakes, label pages and footnotes. I managed to complete all with a sweep on time and I certainly do hope that I didn't miss out anything from that quick sweep. Whew! This is probably one of the narrowest escape I had in saving any collapsing fronts.

Oh well, with the third front being closed up, I hope I can concentrate better in finishing up the other two. It was very exhausting bunch of opening week and I really look forward to the upcoming 1 week raya break.

No comments: