Monday 29 June 2009

The passing of an icon

On 25th June 2009, the King of Pop was no more. He was 50 years old. I didn't check the Internet on that Friday morning and so it came as quite a shock when I heard the news from my lecturer. Almost instantly, one could feel the magnitude of the void that was left behind. The Internet search engines and some servers actually crashed because of the amount of people that were searching his name online. This is a moment in history. It was similar to the epic proportion left behind by Elvis and John Lennon. They all die young. As one bystander worded it, "It's like when Kennedy was assassinated".

Despite all the bizarre tales that populated the last years of his life, no one can deny that Michael Jackson left a long-lasting legacy behind. He redefined and changed the direction of pop music. He made an impression on three generational decades, the 70s, 80s and 90s. Not many singers can boast that kind of feat. The moonwalk was his distinct trademark. For me, the most vivid personal memory I have of him was the Pepsi advertisement in the Malaysian TV airwaves that ran with the song "Black of White" in the early 90s. Even as a rock enthusiast myself, I have to say some of the songs that he has will be classic evergreen for many years to come. My personal favourites were "Beat It", "Billie Jean" and "Black or White". It's kinda cool also that "Billie Jean" was featured in GTA Vice City and I remember myself experiencing nostalgically 80s when the song ran through the car 'radio'.

There is only one Jacko, his distinct style is irreplaceable just as how Elvis remains uniquely himself years after his death. He may be gone but the King of Pop's voice will continue to resonate through the radio waves. Rest in peace, Michael Jackson.

No comments: