Thursday 19 March 2009

In the Court of Appeal

At 9am yesterday, my trial by fire has finally arrived. It's mooting time. I have been preparing for quite some time now, and not quite sure what to expect. There were lots of stuff to remember, lots of principles to put into mind and also preparation for surprise questions. Hmmm..I didn't really read through all the cases as hard as I should have. It's just a brief summation in my brain and I've only started putting my script into mind last night. Part of me is dead scared that I may have mental block during mooting and forgetting what I'm supposed to say. Furthermore, reference and directly reading from scripts is a nono.

As the hours and minutes ticked by, I'm felt like a nervous wreck coz I really don't have an idea how it's gonna be like and I was just hoping that whatever preparation that I had made will pull me through. All the powerpoint presentations and project works that I have ever done cannot compare to the elaborate amount of work I had to do in mooting. Haha..and one thing that I'll never stop doing is praying to God for guidance and committing the whole thing to Him.

At first, it felt a bit tight to say the words out but after about 3 minutes of talking, I'm slowly getting into the flow of the moot session. Well I was caught by surprise when the 'judge'(my lecturer) asked me some questions on a particular area, and it caused me to reorganise the whole order of my script of planned stuff to say. It's like I had to bring forward one of the cases even though I plan to say it out only later. Whew..fortunately, I could connect both cases strongly. Lots of surprise questions but thank God that I could handle them..haha. To some extent, the facts of the cases that I have read did linger in my mind afterall although I thought that I would forget them..lol. Aye, all the good stuff were present but I made a fatal mistake at the last 5 minutes that is given to the lead appellant to rebut. I had in mind to reiterate my points but while I was using that time to scrutinise the respondent's argument, it slipped out of mind. Ahhh..that one second of forgetfulness caused the appeal to be dismissed. Lol..it's always got to be that one second of lateness. But anyways, my lecturer said that I did well despite the loss and I'm pretty pleased that mooting performance has more or less gone according to what I have planned. There's a 'shiok' feeling after mooting for two reasons. First, there's an improvement in my attempt to improve my public speaking and secondly, the most excruciating and squeezing moment of this week is over! Of course, I'm only halfway through at that time coz I would have still the Christian Awareness Week Event Review to complete plus handing it up and my Malaysian law presentation where I still have not started a single thing on the powerpoint.

And this brings me to today, where I've finally completed the massive documentation for the CAW Event Review. It includes also pasting receipts on papers and chasing people for signatures. Ohhhhh..the joy of being a secretary..haha. But I'm just feeling glad that I could finish it by the dateline and with that thing settled already, all I have to do now is to focus on my presentation tomorrow. However, there's still drum lessons to be taught tonight to the students and I forsee myself starting on my powerpoint in a very dangerous time. Anyways, one of my lecturers spotted me while I was walking along the corridors and commented that I looked unhappy.(I didn't realised that..lol) Haha..I said that I had lots of things in my mind and she pointed to the cross in her ring and said "Just leave it in His hands". Mhmmm..I've actually been thinking alot on family stuff and of someone but am currently clueless on what to do with them. By the grace of God, I believe He will lead me through the right path :)

No comments: