Monday 22 December 2008

The Ting Tings

Lol, I first heard of them when Alvin mentioned about them in his Facebook status months ago (coz it had something to do with his surname..lol) I didn't pay attention then because I thought it was some kind of joke from him. Then I saw the Ting Tings advertising at Facebook for their upcoming concert in Singapore. Curious, I went to Youtube to check out and I'm very pleased indeed to discover them!

The Ting Tings is somewhat like Britain's answer to The White Stripes in the US, although they play a different style. Both are essentially two-member bands. Composing of the duo from Manchester, Katie White is the vocals and electric/bass guitarist and Jules De Martino is the drummer. Amazing material from a two-member band...and who says you can't create good band music with just two members?..haha. The White Stripes had been phenomenal with their success and the Ting Tings influence looks to be growing. Their music has been featured in an Ipod commercial, the movie trailer for "Slumdog Millionaire" and FIFA 09.

Like Muse, you either love or hate them. Katie's voice could either sound whiny or creative artsy to some people. Although technically not a rock group, I think the Ting Tings could be classified under the alternative pop-rock and indie label. Dance-punk is quite suitable too because of the constant catchy dance drum beats, although not too many bands fall in that category. They play great naturally on the instruments, with their music laced with some electrico beats and I love some of the electric guitar parts and the drumming. Katie's emo fringe long hair with her electric guitar gives her the rocking chick look..lol. And I wonder why Jules always wear the sunglasses while performing. Reminds me of someone in my university..haha.

Their trademark song is "That's not my name" and the song gives a mixed impression of Gwen Stefani and Avril Lavigne combined together. It's more of a shout-out song with the melodic part at the bridge. Other songs that are pretty cool are "Great DJ" and "Shut up and let me go"(the music video for this is pretty artsy too). Hmm.."Be the one" reminds me a little of the New Wave genre but done in the modern fashion. There's also a guitar solo by Katie in "Fruit Machine". The Ting Tings' musical style offers something refreshing and way to go with some of the stuff that transcends the usual clichéd, just like the German alternative band Wir Sind Helden. In order to get the richness of their audio material (especially the drumming!), it's best to listen their tracks at the audio quality 256kbps to 320kbps. Another thing is that their musical talent is for real. Check out some of their videos in Youtube where they actually could redo their songs into acoustic style, with both Katie and Jules equipped with guitars and their voices only.

Hmm..anyways, I doubt many will know about them in this part of the world. It's a pity that I couldn't take time off to attend their concert in Singapore in Jan 2009. One thing's for sure is that I'll definitely be adding them to my growing favourite list of alternative rock lads from Britain...haha Anyways, if you're feeling a little adventurous, creative and experimental for some new musical tracks in your ears, be sure to check them out :)

No comments: