Thursday 17 January 2008

Newspaper

I usually walk down a few shophouses past Yut Sun (a place where I always have my lunch) to buy the Star newspaper at the newspaper distributor there. After about 2 weeks of travelling there consistently to buy the papers during lunchtime, the tau keh there already more or less know my face. So, it happened today that the Star newspaper was sold out and I had to wait for about 5-10 minutes for one of the vendors to return with the paper. While waiting, I had a conversation with the tau keh since we are familiar with each other. He's Hokkien but is quite fluent in English (I had to tell him I'm Cantonese or he will start conversing with me in Hokkien..lol)

Well, the conversation generally drifted from where I stay to about the issue on my departure from Singapore. He was surprised to hear my point-of-view and that I would rather choose to come back and remain Malaysian citizen as to stay in Singapore. There's a whole lot of reasons at my significant post here which I talked to him about some of the reasons there. Part of the surprise came from his experience that many Malaysian Chinese are dying to come to Singapore to take up PR (old cliched stuff). I joked with him that I was the weirdo going the opposite direction..lol. The usual reasons that he heard for people coming to Sg are same old stuff like better prospects and etc. I pointed out to him that I was perhaps, one of the the odd ones out since I'm planning to take Law plus I'm a non-Science or Maths fella and given the stringent quota and post-studying life there, I don't really see much prospects in continuing life in Sg. Anyways, I let him into some bits of the Chinese community in Singapore. Haha, I guess my unique point-of-view would be sort of an eye-opener for him as is to many whom I have chatted about this issue.

I had an enjoyable time chatting with the tau keh and at the same time, I can say I acquired a new friend..haha. It was nice of him to make an arrangement to inform the vendor to deliver an additional copy of Star with my grandfather's chinese newspaper at the doorstep.

No comments: