Friday 5 August 2011

Farewell Scholes!


 He scores goals galore, he’s Paul Scholes! He scores goals galore, he’s Paul Scholes! He scores goals galore, he’s Paul Scholes! Oh Paul Scholes he scores goalssss..

Two United players retired at the end of the season 2010/2011 and I was frustrated in May ‘cos I couldn’t be there at Old Trafford to send off Gary Neville off due to final exams. So, I made it a point that I’ll keep tabs on the Paul Scholes testimonial very closely.  The moment the sales for the testimonial match open, I quickly rushed to apply for the ticket. It seems that they are opening up the whole stadium on a free seating basis, so I can choose any seat in the stadium on a first come first serve basis. Since I’m one of the few there to purchase the tickets when sale opened, I had the opportunity to pick the VIP seats which were not available to the general public on regular match days. I reckon that this is one of the rare opportunities that I will get to obtain the best view of a match at Old Trafford without paying big bucks for it.

The opponents for the Scholes testimonial will be the New York Cosmos managed by another United legendary player, King Eric Cantona. A couple of old legends – foe and friends alike of Scholes will be playing on the NY Cosmos side.  The match is scheduled to kick-off at 7.30pm on 5th August but I’ve arranged for an earlier bus at 2.30pm coz I wanted to settle some shirt printing business at the Nike Manchester shop. I’ve decided to pick the bus to go there since it’s comes at a super cheap price of £2.50 and the time taken for the bus journey from Leeds to Manchester is around 1hr++, not much of a difference from the train which costs almost double the price. However, the return trip would have to be by train since it is easier to connect to the national train after coming out of the Manchester train. Since the match will end late at night, I doubt that I would be able to reach the bus station in time. 

On the day itself, I reached Manchester as scheduled. I’ve finally made the decision on whose number print after deliberating for one whole season and I’ve decided that it should be Scholes since that would be the last full-season career jersey that he would be wearing. Not only that, with Scholesey retiring, there won’t be any opportunity to print his name on any future shirts anymore. So, I guess it will be a fitting tribute for me to print my shirt in honour of him. Now, one of the reasons why I’ve held out so long to print the shirt is because I’ve difficulty finding a place in Manchester that will give me the authentic player size Lextra shirt printing. Apparently all-printing  at Old Trafford is replica size..ish! And yesh, Nike Manchester has an underground level where their shirt printing facility is located and the funny thing is that they print for both City and United although City have their own merchandise shop a few blocks away. After getting my shirt printing, it’s time to make my way to the stadium.   

At Old Trafford, I had to make my way to the ticketing office to get my match ticket. This is because when I bought the match ticket, I entered the delivery address as my Uni accommodation instead of the current place I’m lodging at. I did went back to Sentinel Towers to inquire whether they kept any mail for me but apparently , the office will forward the mail back to the bank address and that could take months.  Gahhhhh, this is as good as the mail getting lost forever on a loop. I told the United customer service of my problem and they’ve arranged for me to collect it from the spot instead. Since I’ve got a little bit of time left, I went inside the megastore to purchase the new season’s kit which I kinda like because the design reminds me of the 2001 kit.

It took me quite some time to find out which entrance I should take to enter my seating area.  I went to check through all the regular entrances of the north side but none of them listed the entrance gate number on my ticket. Finally, I found my entrance to be the one located at the entrance of the museum tour, because my seating area is actually the Manchester suite! Wooootss! Ahhh, now it makes sense considering my seat is VIP and hence, I definitely have to enter through that entrance. The usherers for the Manchester suite were all suited up instead of the regular gatekeepers. I can see why anyone who goes through that entrance would feel very VIP indeed. So I took the escalators up to the suite and upon entrance - wow, the waiting area in the suite is TOTALLY different from the regular stands. It feels more like a ballroom with tables and even the Bar selling beer is a class on its own with the bartenders all dressed up too. In comparison, the Bar counters at the regular stand look like the typical movie counter selling popcorn. Scattered around the luxurious waiting area are artistic pictures of former and present United players in training. I went to check out the toilet too, and yes, it’s a class on its own compared to the ones which the regular masses use.

I’m not interested in getting any refreshments, so I’ll just head into the stadium. It seems that there’s gonna be another giant mural on display for Scholes. All the seats at my side were equipped with the plastic sheets just like the Champions League semi-final which I had attended earlier. While waiting, I used my camera to zoom in on the players and checked them out. The match programme had listed out the players that are going to turn up for New York Cosmos and it’s a very delicious bunch indeed. Most notable are the reunion of Robert Pires and Patrick Vieira on the same side. The other old fellas are Brad Friedel, Michael Salgado, Nicky Butt, Fabio Cannavaro and Dwight Yorke. The strangest inclusion is Gary Neville – who (nobody would have imagined) is playing on the same side with Vieira and against United in a rare occasion. Unfortunately, it looks like Beckham did not make an appearance for Scholes as he did for Neville. Even more legendary at the VIP stands sitting alongside King Eric is the appearance of Pele. For United, I get to have a first glimpse of the new additions to the squad – De Gea and Ashley Young at the starting line-up. Another United new boy, Jones is on the substitute bench.  

The testimonial got off to a start with the entrance by Scholes and his family. Of course, the whole stadium joined in chanting the famous Scholes chant. It did not take long for Scholes to make a statement in the match. At around the 9th minute, he pumped in his trademark rocket shot to score the 1st goal of the match. Woahhhhhh, it’s almost as if everything is scripted for the game – Scholes bowing out of the beautiful game with the most dramatic fashion – doing what he does best. I would have thought that vital players like Rooney will sit out from this match because the Community Shield match against City is just days away but it seems that he’s joining in the fun by starting the game and scoring a penalty from the spot. At half time, Vidic, Ferdinand, De Gea, Berbatov and Rafael were removed presumably to rest them for the upcoming match. For the second half, 4 more goals were scored with 1 from Anderson, 1 from Welbeck and 2 from Mame Diouf. Scholesey himself was subbed off at the 74th minute for the final time in his career and it was a standing ovation for the loyal servant of United as he made his way off the field for the last time. I guess after this, there’ll be no turning back to the field that he’s so familiar with. The match ended 6-0 in favour of United and Scholes did a final lap of honour around the 4 corners of Old Trafford with his family.

Well, it’s a privilege for me to have the opportunity to be there personally at Old Trafford to bid farewell to Paul Scholes. He has been such an integral part of the squad. He has occupied the major part of my years of following football and suffice to say, he’s part of my growing up years. To see him finally hang up his boots is almost like closing a mini chapter, a signal that I’m growing old too. The one thing I’ve always admired about Scholes is his humble character despite his piles of achievement as a professional football player. I can see that his family meant a lot to him, given that he has chosen to have them alongside him as he made his last round around Old Trafford. There will never be another player like him who would grace the Theatre of Dreams. You may have another star midfielder who will rise up and be a first-team member but you’ll never get the same class of style and personality like Scholes. Thanks for the memories Paul. The Ginger Prince, United Legend, Loyal Servant, England’s Midfield Maestro and Model Professional - we salute you. 

No comments: