Tuesday 3 May 2011

Dissertation Completed!

6 months. 12700 words. Finally done. It was a nervous rush from the time I'm back on the 30th till today. What I had left to do was the introduction, conclusion and some bits of the chapter on reform. Not only that, there was also references to tidy up, a 500 word extract to work on and proof-reading to be done. By Monday night, I thought I had done everything I should in terms of the essay content but it seems that I still have lots of admin work to tidy up in terms of formatting, putting page numbers, content page and listing out the table of cases and statutes. Proof reading took me longer than expected and I had to take 1hr to read through the 12700 mammoth essay. As of this morning, I was still furiously typing away to tidy up my essay. It got me into a minor panic because it was like 4hrs to dead line and I'm still typing away. My plans to go to uni to print at the cluster at 7am went down the drains. But thankfully, I completed all tidying up by 9.30am and promptly submitted it online first. I head out to uni immediately afterthat to get my paper printed. I was crossing my fingers and was hoping that the computer clusters wouldn't be too crowded with other 3rd year students who are thrown in a massive panic. I purposely went to the Cohen cluster in the Chem department since that's the last place that a student would think of going.

The total amount of pages to be printed after all the double spacing was 66. It costed me close to 3 pounds just to print a hard copy of the dissertation to submit but it's neccessary. As I was walking to the law school to submit my dissertation, a sense of accomplishment dawned upon me. And when I handed it up at the reception desk, I felt a huge stone being lifted away. Now it's just settling exams. I was quite amused at how I managed to complete it in the end despite spending like 4 days of the crucial period to travel. This meant that if I had not chose to travel, I would have completed way earlier. But then again, knowing of my tendencies to procastinate, I might have took longer if not for the pressure bearing down on me to complete my work.

Later in the evening, there was supposed to be an International students tea party organised by the law school but it turns out that I'm the only Malaysian student there and there are a small handful of African students. The majority of the people there are actually the lecturers. How awkward. It's either my fellow countrymen are too shell-shocked from the dissertation dateline there or they are catching up on lost sleep. In the end, I just had some small conversations with the lecturers there, eat my share of free food and head home to do revision. Ahhh, I'm trying not to be overly enthusiastic on the completion of the dissertation because I can clearly feel that I'm getting too carried away in relaxing as if there are no more exams. I have to get back to ground and start turning on JPA MODE 3.0 to turbo speed already!

No comments: