Tuesday 1 March 2011

Fictional Law

The past week has rather been quite an uneventful period, with just classic work and work occupying my weekends and weekdays. I would say I finished up alot on the things that I have set out to do, like completing a few articles for my paid writing job, crafting out a birthday present for one of my friends and sending in a global short story competition entry which is organised by the student union. I also took some time to catch up some overdue experience farming run for one of my characters in Guild Wars. So, last weekend was one of the most relaxing and free weekends I have because I've completed lots of stuff already and I'm partially saved by the fact that my dissertation supervisor had not ring the battle calls for the 4th meeting yet. But I bet it's gonna be coming soon and I need to push myself to prepare another further 3000 words again.

The last week or so also saw me receiving my assignment marks back. I was pulling out my hair over a slight miss over the goal mouth which saw my criminology assignment falling short of 1st class by 2 marks. And I was also dissappointed in the assignment marks for jurisprudence which I had expected to get better but in the end, got less than my criminology. Well, both assignment marks are in the 2nd upper class range but I had expected better returns. It seems that after looking through my juris paper, I find it to be a little like the silly last minute goal that Arsenal self-destruct themselves in the Carling Cup Final. It started out well and superb but just couldn't hit the crux when it matters the most, and I'm lamenting the fact that I didn't spot the need to rephrase a couple of issues around to give myself a higher chance to score. But such is the nature of the Arts subjects, and jurisprudence being philosophy is the closest I have to Arts. I felt that I've presented my case which I believed was the strongest at that time of writing but the examiners didn't buy it or see it my way. In Arts, you can either be a genius on one occassion or be a fool in another. It's a random shot. One can only hope that if he's off-mark, it won't fall on the paper or marks that matters. Suddenly, my criminology marks didn't look that bad all, but a mammoth effort is gonna be needed to get my juris back on my targeted goal, especially with law and religion looming around unfavourably. I have to admit, that I get frustrated and pissed off easily whenever I don't meet the high targets and expectations that I set for myself or when things don't go the way I want.

On a brighter note, I've enjoyed a change in module for jurisprudence with the start of Law and Fiction. I've seen more of the familiar faces of Malaysians and Singaporeans joining the class instead of me sitting all alone in the class with Ang Mohs. And I foresee myself becoming good friends with this Law and Fiction module after my experience with English Lit and literary analysis. I hope I can smash as high as possible for this one to make up for the potential deficit in L&R and the assignment. And another thing to look forward to is the end of EU law lectures because this week is the last! Looks like Wednesday is gonna be a free day in the coming weeks!

No comments: