Saturday 12 February 2011

CU Events Week


It has been a productive week for the Christian Union in the Uni. For the past week, we had events week and had established a free marquee cafe opposite the library. In the afternoons, there are different talks by different speakers on some challenging Christian topics and the public is also invited to ask questions. It reminds me alot of Christian Awareness Week back at Inti 2 years ago. I took the opportunity to help out whenever I can after class by serving drinks, making soup and giving out flyers. There are also programmes in the evening which I attended- Celidh on Monday, movie screening on Tuesday and Alpha Course on Thursday night. Breathe* no longer runs on Thursday anymore as the whole team's effort will be redirected to join up with the CU and other churches for Alpha Course. My table became a really awkward place for a moment because we ended up having 7 Christians and 1 non-Christian. Alpha Course is really basic information on Christianity and of course, if one is a Christian for a considerable amount of time - it would be more of a refresher course rather than anything new. But then I realise afterthat the Alpha course is also a good way to have some starting information on what to tell people about God because there are many times where I don't know what basic ground I should start on. The interesting about Alpha Course is that it looks alot like a chill out session rather than an event organised by a Christian organisation. There's some soft jazz music going on and there's no prayer or any worship session and this should encourage people to ask questions that they don't normally ask. Not only that, there's a free small dinner and lots of mini babybel cheese! This is my first time having it and it's a very unusual cheese snack in the sense that it's a miniature version of a real cheese encased in wax. I was definitely drunk on cheese on Thursday night as I kept munching on them away. I popped by at the Living Room for a moment, something which I had not attended for a very long time because of the clashing of timing with Breathe*. Anyways, the events week run until Friday but I took time off to join up with some of my classmates for a potluck gathering at one of their house. That sums up my week in general..lol.

No comments: