Saturday 11 September 2010

One Last Makan Spree

It was a massive effort to shift all the stuff back but I managed to make it thanks to some fantastic help from King and Reuben from JB. Actually, I had planned to return earlier back from the Southern Island on Monday for one last trip up north but Mama's exam invigilation duties and an unexpected death of a relative meant that it had to be postponed to Wednesday. Meanwhile, I made sure I had my fill of Botak Jones and cleaned my room well since I won't be bunking in anytime soon for at least a year. Since I was there for the week, my relatives and family friends there gave me some farewell dinners to send me off which I appreciated very much.

On Wednesday, I drove down along the highway in the evening and had a night's rest at PJ first before continuing the second half up north at the next morning. I had the usual ice kacang and char kway teow combo at Lorong Selamat for late lunch. Unfortunately, for dinner, my beloved Pork Noodle stall at Ho Ping Kopitiam was not open, so I had to make do with some Oyster Omelette and French Smoked Salmon at Northern Beach Cafe. Breakfast at the next morning was at Macalister Lane, opposite the road where I grew up. The famous chee cheong fun @ Seow Fong Lye Kopitiam there had remained elusive everytime I came to Penang because I went there late and usually they are finished by 11am. So I made it a point this time to go early and I got my fair share of it. There's also the Char Kway Kak @ SFL cafe and the Kway Teow Tng in Kim Lee at the same lane which I gladly slurped up. Each of these folks that I ate from had been in business since I was staying at Penang at the age of 3 or so and I grew up during my childhood eating from their stalls. Almost 15years+ down the road, all of them still had the same superb taste.

Afterthat, I stopped by Taiping during noon hours for my Mama to visit her relatives and I had to visit my favourite Hainanese kopitiam Yut Sun there to dunk in for one last time all the old classic fare. I would say that particular place is a piece of heaven where 1Malaysia truly exists. All my years eating there, I've never failed to see a healthy mix of Malays, Chinese and Indians gathering to eat under the same roof in a Chinese kopitiam. By evening, I'm on my way back to PJ since I have practice today and my last Sunday at GFS will be tomorrow. Ahhhh..it'll be hard to say goodbye to Pastor Vic and all the families there. It's been a fantastic 2 years of learning and serving there :)

No comments: