Sunday 28 March 2010

Digital Outing

This is one of the rare weekends where I get a Saturday off..haha. There was supposed to be an inter-CF meeting but since it was cancelled, it freed up a slot for a trip to Lowyat Plaza where I've been waiting for quite some time to go to settle some of my old laptop business instead of letting it lie dormant to collect dust in my hostel room. There was Lerdie, Maddie, Emily, Rubbie (they rhyme! haha xD) and King in the car, so it was quite a squishing ride for those at the back since they need to take turns to lean back.

We reached the Sungei Wang area at about afternoon and we proceeded to eat lunch at Kim Gary's first since we didn't get to eat breakfast. Afterthat, we went straight to do our respective business. Maddie needs to get her hardisk repaired while Emily hunts for her earphones and new hardisk. As for me, I need to get a casing and a connector for the hardisk of my old laptop. I figured out that I won't give my old laptop hardisk to the resellers since it may contain sensitive info such as passwords that are saved with it. Instead, I might as well convert it as my 4th portable hard disk..haha. I manage to get the casing for RM25 in the end and at that the same time I was keeping a lookout for the Pakistani shops where somebody recommended where they buy old conked out lappies.

The first price that was quoted to me was RM200 for everything. It sounded decent to me, but I figured out that it may be more profitable to sell the different parts and among all the parts inside the laptop, the most precious one has gotta be the 2 pieces of 2GB RAM. It's not exactly a good brand but still, it could fetch quite a fair amount of price. The second shop also quoted RM200 for everything, and offered only RM70 for each piece of the RAM sticks. In the end, we settled for the third shop where we managed to get it sold for RM80 per stick and the rest of the lappie body for RM140, making an earning of RM300. That sounded ok to me, eventhough it may be 10% of the original purchase price. Considering that the graphics card is gone, depreciation factor and brand name etc, I don't expect much profit already. It's merely to make sure that I dispose it and get some small pocket money in return. Lol..since King managed to help me to bargain, he gets to walk away with a free laptop lock. =p

After settling our digital business, the girls went off for shopping at Sungei Wang while the boys headed off to Times Square to see if there are anything worth seeing there. We checked out some sports shop and then we chilled out at Krispy Kreme Doughnuts for almost 5 hours with some men's talk. I did some revision too in between..haha. Anyways, we were really amazed on how much energy the girls to shop at Sungei Wang and Times Square for 5hrs plus! We rounded up our dinner at Wendy's where they had this range of Cheesy Mushroom Burger..Yummy! Overall, a fun outing day and I'm glad to settle the old laptop business once and for all.

No comments: