Friday 1 January 2010

The Decade in Review

It's 10 years into a new millennium and it's a historical moment that Stan is happy to take note of. These are the most notable moments in the previous decade that are memorable to Stan and they include political, historical, sports, gaming and personal milestones. Lol..mostly they are random ramblings that are mixed up like a rojak but these are my top picks for the decades.

2000 - Y2k doesn't seem to be a bad problem afterall. The computers ran fine and the world didn't come to an end. I reached the shores of Singapore for the second time since my holiday there in 1998. Little did I know that I am gonna remain there for a good 8 years before returning back to a Malaysian life later. A new environment and a new place seemed like a frightening process but life at the southern island seems to be a fresh new start from the old conflicts. France won EURO 2000, following their success in World Cup 1998. SQ 006 crashed in Taiwan - A big news for Singaporeans at that time and for SIA. The younger Bush enters the White House as the President nearly 10 years after his father.

2001 - It's my final year in primary school and it's time for me to sit for the exams to enter secondary school. September 11 terrorist attack remains probably the strongest event that changed historical and political landscape in the world. On thee very same year, US launched a counter-offensive against Afghanistan to bring down the Taliban regime, marking the start of the US war campaign in the Middle East. Leeds United reached the semi-finals of the Champions League but lost the final spot to Valencia. Man United bought van Nistelrooy, one of their most prolific goalscorers.

2002 - I entered St. Joseph's Institution and was delighted that I got a place in there. It was another new phase of life with new friends and new environment. World Cup was held in Japan and Korea with Brazil claiming their 5th title after failing their bid in 1998. France bowed out of 2002 in a shameful way, a shadow of their team in 98. GTA 3 came out that year, giving a whole new meaning to rampage on the streets. Avril first established herself in her new album and those were the days when Avril, Norah Jones and Michelle Branch competed for the radio waves.

2003 - Sec 2 streaming exams. Knights of the Old Republic became some sort of a benchmark for future RPG games to be measured in my opinion. The Iraqi invasion by the US finally saw the capture of Saddam, marking the end of his long regime in Baghdad. Back in Malaysia, Mahathir announced to the shock of his party comrades and the nation that he will resigning from the top post of the country after 20 years there.

2004 - It's a year of forming and defining who I am. The year when I finally started to focus specifically to historical knowledge and strive to build a library of them following my acceptance to take History 2158 (World Affairs since 1919) in SJI. The American Idiot album inspired me to stay loyal to the rock genre and rock became the defining style of music that drives me. Wayne Rooney arrived in Man Utd, after waves of speculations. In Malaysia, Pak Lah won the 2004 elections in a landslide victory, with a promise of reforms to every aspect at government administration. Bush too got the vote of confidence to renew his term following the climate of terrorism.

2005 - My graduating year in SJI. As a senior in the Cadet Corps, it's time to enjoy the fruits of labour that we have worked so hard since starting out as a recruit. Had my first rock band performance in front of a few-hundred crowd for the teacher's day concert, ending off my high school year in a bang. O Levels season was quite an interesting period.

2006 - Got into Nanyang JC, something I didn't really like at first because I had planned to go St. Andrew's JC instead. Eventually I settled in, finding some good buddies like Sandeep and TG in the process. I went to Vietnam for a one-week fieldtrip and that was an eye opening experience. Man Utd won their first silverware in the Carling Cup since 2004 and it was hoped that many more will come in the future. The World Cup was held in Germany with Italy emerging as Champions.

2007 - Final year in A' Levels. The crux of change. I made the final decision to leave the southern island and started making plans to return back to the Malaysian life. It's the year when I discovered about Muse and an upgrade to a taste with alternative rock. Man United won their first Premier League title since 2004 and personally, it's a joyful end to a wait to see the trophy being lifted up by a Mancunian. Malaysia's 50 years of independence was celebrated on this year.

2008 - The start of reestablishing myself in Malaysia. The March 8 elections marks a new political watershed in Malaysia. It's the beginning of my journey in law. Man United won the Champions League, a sight I have being waiting for since 1999. Barack Obama voted in as the 44th US President, the first African American in the top office.

2009 - The year when I acquired full mobile movement to travel around Malaysia. It's also the year when I took on more responsibilities in many areas as a committee member. Man Utd visited Malaysia and it's an atmosphere that'll stay in my mind for a long time.

2010 - May this year be a fruitful year that the Lord has bless and it'll sure be another major phase in life as I step foot on another continent.

Here's cheers to another 10 years down the road for the new decade! :)

No comments: