Sunday 23 August 2009

Why Love? Camp

Lots of traveling on the previous few days and I finally have the time to sit down to blog about the marvelous camp that I had last week. In waiting in anticipation for this camp, I stayed over at campus after my last class on Tuesday. It was an interesting period since I had no exams while most of my friends were preparing for finals. In any case, I did manage to find myself some things to occupy myself until the 18th. =p

On the 18th morning, I made a last ditch to complete as much magazine material as possible and send it to the publisher before packing for the camp. We waited for Jason to come to fetch us and we headed off to Seremban for a pork burger lunch session which Reuben has been craving for a long time already. After we had our fill, we continued on our journey to Golden Sands at Port Dickson. ICF Nilai also once had a camp at Golden Sands in 2008 at a time before Stan was there.

We were quite clueless at first when we reached there because most of them were already there first before us. Anyways, one of the first stuff that we did was to check into our bunks. There were clearly more boys as we occupied two dorms while the ladies occupied one. The sleeping dorms do look like the military bunk style with its wooden double bed. Afterthat, we gathered back at the hall and break into our different groups for ice-breaking and group name-planning. Since we are the yellow team, we decided to come up with a name that suits the colour and after much deliberation, we settled for - SPONGY BANANA! haha..

The speaker for the camp was our beloved Pastor Vic. I think he was a little surprised to see some familiar regular faces there..haha. He spoke on various stuff but the main highlights that many campers were eagerly listening to was the relationships part. Most of the stuff that he had spoken on were already heard by me since he brought it up at his sermons in church. The most moving part of the sermons was the prayer session and God really used Pastor Vic to speak to the inner hearts of many of the campers.

We had team-building games on day 2, relay and competitive. They have quite an interesting array of games such as matching baby photos with committee members, acting out song names, mannequins, hoops passing and the most physically demanding was hand crawling plus tongue twisters. After relay, we had inter-competitive games like blindfold walk, human knots and human tic-tac-toe. Spongy Banana had a confusing time doing human knots..lol.

Day 3 was the most action-packed day especially after Pastor Vic's sermon. We had hydrowar and many of us were already making pre-emptive strikes at one another with our water guns even before the game had started. Some of us tested our weaponry and those that brought the Super Soakers were the peeps with the scariest arsenals since the guns were not doing light spraying but pressurised water pump. When the war started, it was madness as everyone tries to "kill" the lifepack of the opposite team. A person is considered "killed" if there's a tear at the paper lifepack. It proved harder than expected since after many rounds, no one actually got killed eventhough their lifepacks were wet. Alliances were formed and sometimes, friendly fire were accidentally made. Halfway through the game, I had the chance to get a feel of being a war photographer as I traverse through the watery mayhem at the field..lol. Our hydrowar was sadly cut short since there was a drizzling of rain. The drizzle stopped after 15 minutes and we proceeded on for the beach telematch. The balloon catching relay was kinda funny because I had a water balloon exploding in my face when I caught it with my hands. Free fun time on the beach followed after the telematches with many of us waddling around at the sea. At night after dinner, we had Amazing Race and I would say one of the games that made us sweat the most was building a perfect pyramid with a stack of cards. This was because everytime we made it to the third level, the whole second level would just collapse to our frustration. Anyways, we managed to complete the whole leg and we're pretty pleased with that. The night's events ended with campfire, limbo and 60 seconds to fame. Haha..Spongy Banana managed to score 1st with our performance at the campfire! :) Since the last night has no lights out limit, we stayed all the way till 3am to play Mafia and an upgraded version of it known as Werewolves. That was a fantastic time of fellowship together :)

I'm really glad to be given this opportunity to attend this camp! The food was awesome and meal times almost felt like restaurant time. I made lots of new friends and got to know a lot of people from a region where I'm originally supposed to stay until the hand of destiny picked me and sent me southwards. Btw, Inti Subang girls are ganas!..lol. We have a female drummer (Christine) and female bassist (Brit) there. Not only that, the whole lot of them can go psycho with screamos too..haha. Anyways, the 4 days were a great time of fellowshiping together. I felt that our group bonded well together and credit must be given to Sarah, our leader for her bubbly and cheerful style of leading us. We had fun and an enjoyable time together. To all the other Spongy Bananas (Sarah, Lionel, Nigel, Brit, Denesh and Eden), it's a privilege for me to be in the same group with you guys! :) It's always good to know that there are other young people running the same race as us too and though we are in different universities and colleges, we are still one in Christ. I really do hope all of us will meet again either in combined meetings or major events in the future :D

2 comments:

Maddie said...

I WISH I WENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT..... HUHUUHUHHUU ME WANTS TO PLAY HYDROWAR TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Stan said...

Hahahahaha..I'll send a shipment of hydro weapons to Sarawak where the ammunitions are plenty in the waterfalls and rivers. I'm sure the village chiefs will be delighted with their new super weapons ;p