Sunday 12 July 2009

30-Hour Famine

I did it! I survived 30 hours without biting anything! It was torturous for the final few hours but I managed to cross the finishing line. The temptations as an organizing committee member is higher because of the amount of power and freedom that was accorded. It's harder for regular campers to curi makan or find a secret spot to eat. For committee members, I can just walked to the medic corner to grab a bite if I want to and no one would notice that. But I do wanna take up the challenge to see how long I can go without food and it's an appropriate timing to test my endurance level..hehe.

On Friday, the prelude to the famine, I drove to KL to settle a few stuff. First, is the irritating DBKL "love letter". Prior to that, I've actually done extensive research on the route to reach there by checking it out at Google map. So, I had a rough idea on how to get there and it was possible to reach there without losing my way on the first try. It was a smooth journey until I reached the main town where there's a massive jam buildup. Got stuck there for quite some time before I managed to reach DBKL headquarters itself. Lol, there's actually a 'kaunter rayuan' or appeal counter there for the samans to be reduced and I managed to get mine down by 50%..haha. Whew! When that's settled, I proceeded on to the next course which is to go to Bandar Tasik Salatan for the briefing on my part-time job at KLCC book fair. Eden, Lerdie and two of their friends tagged along also for the briefing. I think the salary is pretty decent for staying up for the whole night..haha.

After the briefing, I had to rush back for our performance practice in the music room. By the time we finished practicing, it was the event briefing and preparation at the hall itself. Ahhh..it's quite a bad timing since it clashed with my CG's steamboat gathering. But I managed to alternate between two since the gathering was just below the sports hall at the dining area. The rest of night was spent completing my publicity stuff with Erwin and Zi Liang since we, as the publicity managers need to handle the exhibition boards and the banner. We were sleepy and drained by the time we finished which was around 2am or so.

On the next day, we placed some final touches on our publicity materials. Then Erwin and me went to have our final filling meal before the famine begins at 12pm. Well, we had various kinds of activities. The interesting one that we had was the refugee race, where it's kinda like a mini real-life RPG. Each committee was assigned to one station and I was in charge of the jail with Zi Liang..haha *grins*. The fun part that we committee have was to destroy the shelters during the tsunami and the earthquake! Poor campers had to watched helplessly the first time but they learnt their lesson the second time when they tried to block us from wrecking havoc..lol.

To some extent, a camp without dinner or food slot is kinda weird. After the refugee, it's time to prepare for the performance. ICF band is performing in this one with me on the drums, Erwin as bass/lead singer, Timothy as acoustic, Nic as electric, Lerdie on the keyboards and Lynne+Shirley for backup singers. Ugghhhh..SAO refused to let us use the new uber drumset, so we had to settle with the old one that is falling apart and is beyond redemption. Seriously, the snare drum doesn't even sound like one and that's how bad it was. I had to replace the cheapo high hat imitation crash with my personal titanium Zildjian one. Oh well, I guess we had to make do with whatever resources that we had. It turned out well in the end and a really big thank you to all our friends who came to watch the mini concert and gave ICF band the support :)

All of us slept on empty stomachs at night and we managed to shrug off thinking about food for about 6 hours since we're in slumberland. The next day, we had more activities to mass distract our minds..haha. The most evil portion of the camp has come, it's "cooking but not eat". Awwwww..this is the most torturous part, since by the 25th hour or so onwards, the hunger pangs started to come. The smell coming from the cooked food is just intoxicating. It's within reach of our mouths but we had to resist all the temptation. We took some time off for a break after cooking and when the 30th hour mark is fast approaching, we did a countdown before dunking soya bean and bread down our throats..haha. Inilah dipanggil buka puasa.....lol

At night, after all the tiring job of cleaning up with the other committee members, I went to raid McD with a couple of my CF buddies. I drank 4 cups of drinks on that night and Big Mac and fries never tasted so good in my life..haha =p

6 comments:

Behind the Closet said...

lol...
don't worry it was still a nice performance that night ^^

Stan said...

haha..thanks!! :)

Elle T. said...

you forgot the part where...
Friday we went for supper.
And Saturday you and Erwin woke me up for rafia string -.- JUST FOR RAFIA STRING. ish.

soo jin said...

hoho I wonder how you can tahan for 30 hours without food!! wooooo~~~

Stan said...

FYT - Rafia Strings are now banned in campus T_T

Soo Jin - Mind over matter..lol

soo jin said...

well well mind huh? congrats to all those who manage to go through it ! =)