Sunday 29 March 2009

Mental Block

I woke up today with a bad mental block at my mind. I was still in la-la slumberland when I received a phone call from Eric. I picked it up, wondering why he would be calling me. It didn't occur to me that today was Sunday. So, he asked whether I was coming. In my mind I was in a swirl of confusion and I was thinking, "Coming for what?". And a whole lot of list went through my mind on the possible stuff like Left 4 Dead session, nasi kandar or lunch time. I was thoroughly dazed and I told him I just woke up. He pointed out that it was too late already and I told him to go ahead doing what he's supposed to do eventhough I still can't get where he was going. That was when I checked the time at my laptop and my handphone that I realised to my horror it was 8.55 am on Sunday! I was extremely late and if the van goes, I'll end up driving to Banting alone! I quickly made a second call and fortunately, Hin Yew and his car is still in campus, so I had a fast shower before hopping into his car. Gosh, this is the first time I overslept severely on a Sunday..haha. Even on those weekends with Premier League action in the wee morning hours, I've never ever overshot the waking time. A strange morning indeed.

Amidst all the exam preparation mode, I still managed to find some non-academic related stuff to do eventhough I shouldn't really be doing them. But, hey..Stan has always been doing this all the time coz not even exams could stop him from doing the stuff he enjoys like music and creative writing..haha. First, there's this category of things "that are not important but are currently urgent". It seems that Blizzard is currently organising a creative writing competition for a short fiction story based in the Starcraft/Warcraft/Diablo universe. That's superb because of all the short stories I've written, I've always wanted to write one that is set in the Starcraft context. I guess I could give it a shot to see whether the "master of lores" at Blizzard approve what I have conjure out..lol. And I won't have much time though because the closing date is at 12th April and the exams had to be around that corner. Aikkkks...looks like I have to revise and be an author at the same time.

The other thing is something I discovered spontaneously and impromptu. I was fascinated by the strong bass sound at Franz Ferdinand's "Tell Her Tonight" and so I decided to find out the tabs and try it out at my guitar. Nobody taught me tabs before and the only tab I could successfully emulate so far was "Smoke on the Water" with the easy-peasy 0-3-5-0-3-6-5. And I learned that from a youtube video..haha. And the bass tabs for "Tell her tonight" turned out to be way easier to play than what it sounds. In that process of experimenting, I accidentally played the electric guitar riff for that song too. That was when I quickly find the tabs for the riff also and voila, I could play it too! And that was when I realised that the song can easily be used for a beginner to practice. It's an artsy and catchy song but I've never expected it to be that simple to play it actually..haha. This small discovery exercise sort of enabled me to have an idea on how to read those guitar tabs. Weeeeee..I can now learn some of those single note solos..hehe =D

Anyways, I'm wanna continue progressing on my guitar career next semester. But I have a strong urging on starting a bass career also because somehow, I think I'm more comfortable currently with plucking single notes as opposed to power chords. Learning normal guitar could fulfill both roles because everything that is needed to be learned for bass is needed for normal guitar too. And as a drummer myself, I think it's a natural progression because the bass guitar is closely connected to the drums in some way. Wahahaha..mhmmm, I can multi-role in a band next time then after I master my scaling. =p

No comments: