Saturday 14 March 2009

Jalan Universiti

Yesterday, I joined Charles and a couple of other CF folks for a session at the squash court and it was great fun. It's only my second time playing it but I could feel myself improving. Looks like every Friday is gonna be squash playing day. It's a fantastic way to work out and relax actually..lol. In a way, it feels to shiok to whack the ball back against the wall =p

I had to attend a law conference at the UM law faculty today since I've been told that I've won one of the prizes at a online writing competition organised by elawyer. The conference itself sounds interesting though since it's dealing with blogging and the law, touching on various issues such as defamation, sedition and copyright infringement. It was nice of Vincent to drive me down using my car coz I'm not that confident of driving in KL roads myself. This was the case of availablity of hardware but no proper skill to operate it..haha. Yup, we planned to leave by 7 am to have some extra time in case we get lost. Unfortunately, I forgot to set my alarm and I ended up waking at 7.20. So, we only managed to leave at around 8am. We had no idea of the exact route from Nilai to UM, so we just followed along the North-South highway to get to KL first. After getting into the KL main town, we then proceeded to try getting into the Federal Highway where there is an entry point that leads to UM. We managed to get all the way to the Federal Highway using the first try and that's already quite a feat..haha. Not only that, we managed to find Mid-Valley on the first try. We could have actually reached UM on time but we made a mistake in turning into the Petaling Jaya side at the entry point leading to UM. So, we wasted like 30 minutes or so trying to get out of PJ..haha. Btw, it was interesting to visit PJ again because I just came across the place where I performed under the Yamaha Music School when I was still young. Mama actually fetched me there to that place in PJ for the performance and I could still remember it eventhough I went there once only..haha.

When we finally found UM, we made some turning mistakes before managing to find the faculty of Law itself. As UM is having some inter-uni football match, all the parking place at the law faculty and outside of it is full already. So, we ended up parking at the roadside..lol. By the time we entered, the conference is nearly half-done. But aye, we managed to catch a few questions and answers from the first half. We were surprised to catch Gavin sitting there at the conference too! Apparently, he had also won something for the elawyer contest..haha. The second half was more on the issue between bloggers and the government. Quite a few interesting points were discussed for both offence and defence aspects that could be employed by bloggers if they were to be charged in the court. And most the case law relating to this part of the law always constantly involved either RPK, Rockybru or Jeff Ooi as the defendants..haha. As the speaker had mentioned, a lot aspects on the law and the blogging lies in the grey area, especially in relation with the Communications and Multimedia Act.

I wasn't told which prize I would get but of course, like every other hopeful contestant, I will wish for the top 3 prizes. When 5 contestants had passed the consolation prize mark, it gets pretty much more intense. 2 more passed and still not my name. My bubble burst though when mine was the 8th name for the consolation prize..haha. Anyways, a very big congratulations to Gavin for securing the 3rd prize in the competition! At least Inti had one rep in the top three..haha. Ohhh, another thing, it was very honourable indeed to get to see Azmi Sharom in person! He's one person I would seriously want to be my law lecturer. At first I couldn't recognise him when he was speaking because he didn't have his trademark spectacles on. I only realised that it was him after Gavin pointed it out. Haha..everytime when a person asks me whether a lawyer or a person dealing with law academics can have long hair, I always quote Azmi as an example.

After all the conference stuff and all, we went to Mid-Valley to hang out, chomp on some Carl's Junior and shop for some stuff. I drank almost 3 rounds of drinks and the result was that I ended up going to the toilet to pee like every 2 hrs. Well, at least my kidneys are thoroughly cleaned now..haha. It was not a totally wasted trip as I managed to get quite a few important stuff. First is the white formal shirt for mooting and I managed to get one from Seed at 50% discount. Then, I've managed to finally get my hands on another packet of my favourite green tea candies which I've been craving for so long since the beginning of this semester. Gahh..it seems that they have increased the price to RM 8. Previously it was RM 6 only.

I was intrigued last week to see Jason plugging in his ipod to the Proton car and that made me really wanna get the adapter that converts power from the smoking thing to play ipod music through the car speakers. So, we went asking around and compare prices, including the overpriced mac shop before deciding to finally get the lowest end one for RM39 which did not guarantee that it would work with Ipod. (based on plugging in the USB port) However, there's another avenue which would actually guarantee it to work and that is using the earphone jack instead. So, when I managed to test it, I was very delighted to see it working! Looks like thank God that I did not go for the other really overpriced materials which claimed that they could work with Ipod. This low end one worked just as well..haha. For the first time, mama's Proton car (with a cassette stereo) is actually blasting Ipod music! weeeee... =)

This coming week is gonna be to a "slog-till-I-pop" week as I've got both mooting and Malaysian Law presentation to deal with. And I still haven't got started with either of them...

No comments: