Wednesday 11 February 2009

Lose it all

I drummed for CF's praise and worship session today and the song list was relatively pleasant to the drummer because 4 of them are slow worship songs. The only praise song was "We want to see Jesus lifted high". Practice session was nice even though we had to repeat one song a few times so as to get the chords right. I kept reminding myself for the praise song to have the sequence of Bridge then back to verse again. In my previous church, it was Bridge to Chorus instead and I'm very used to that. Alas, during the real session, my subconscious mind came up and it was an "OOOPPS!" moment when I started crashing the chorus instead of the verse after the Bridge. Gosh, I noticed the mistake within a split second in horror and I quickly changed back into track..lol. The worship songs were wonderful and I could feel the flow easily and this enabled me to come up with some interesting combinations. It's the first time I'm doing Chris Tomlin's "God in this City" and hey, it's quite a great song to drum to. Last two semesters, I find it kinda hard at first to play both crash and ride on the same cymbal of the CF drums but thank God that for this semester, I seem to be able to reconcile and adapt to them by creating two distinct sounds changing my wrist movements.

The speaker for today was an American (Chris) who was residing in Nilai for the past one year. He's like a missionary travelling around Southeast Asia to teach English and spread God's word at the same time. So, currently, his stop is at Malaysia after previously staying in Cambodia and Thailand. Anyways, his message drew my attention today because it coincided with one of the songs that currently keeps playing in my head. He was referring to Mark 8:34-36 which states: "Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said : If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it but whoever loses his life for me and the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?" The song that I'm playing quite frequently nowadays is Lose it all by Rush of Fools and both the message and the song complemented each other. Haha..it caught my attention in the first place because the starting riff was pretty addictive. Hmmm..it's certainly food for thought for the content of the verses. I myself too am learning to slowly to focus more on God and let Him guide me in discovering His purpose for me.

There was a Chap Goh Meh event held at the pool in the evening and I went there to have a look after having dinner with the CF folks. There's a couple of performances held there but the interesting activity there is throwing mandarin oranges into the university swimming pool which happens to be a traditional Chap Goh Meh practice. What happens is that both guys and gals will write their name and their contact on the oranges and then throw them in the pool. Towards the end of the event, they will pick up at random one orange of the opposite gender. The identification is ribbons for gals and rubber bands for the guys. So, there you have it, everyone gets to know a new friend..haha, or if in a bizarre stroke of fortune, his/her Valentine..lol.

Hmmm..it's just only mid-week but I'm starting to feel a little worn-out with all the stuffs that I'm organising plus there's upcoming preparations for mooting. But God will give me strength to move on yea :)

No comments: