Saturday 31 May 2008

Introducing Mute Math!

I learned of that band name from one of Chad's buddies. So, I went to youtube to check out some of the group's videos and gosh...I'm really mesmerized especially by the "Typical" video. I would classify Mute Math as artistic rock. Their Transformers theme is so Picasso! And the drumming is wicked :)

The music video of "Typical" is truly a work of aesthetic genius. I never get tired watching it and after 10 times over, I still get amused by it. This sort of reverse narrative had been experimented by other bands before, notably Coldplay in their song "The Scientist". But, what was unique about Mute Math's video is that it's not only the singer that is doing it, the entire band is playing the song backwards for the video! Speaking of drumming backwards, playing the guitar chords backwards and singing backwards plus coordinating all of them together...that is really crazy.Great effort by the group in creating such a creative masterpiece and it's not easy to go against the common flow of brain thoughts. Lol, rewind the video and ta-dah! Awesome effects with many stuff on the screen defying the law of gravity. What makes it even more interesting is that even in reverse, some of the stuff that is reproduced make sense as they did in the forward time version. To prove that it is not a fluke, Mute Math performed their song backwards in the Jimmy Kimmel show. Of course the audiences were bewildered with what they perceived as totally random acts on stage by the band and the singer uttering foreign language..lol. I watched both the forwarded and rewind version of that live performance and I must say I was very confused at first in determining which was actually the real video.

In any case, I shall be looking forward to their new second album which is scheduled to come out in September this year.

No comments: